Eating around the World - AKA my favorite restaurants and snacks

3/24/14
Look, nachos.  Delicious nachos.  I won't judge you if you drool.


Since I have nothing better to do at this moment than sit and be hungry while I wait for dinner I've decided to write up a list of restaurants, foods and anything related to your stomach that I enjoyed on my last CP.  Food was my one vice while in Florida (especially since there are so many interesting and different restaurants within easy reach in WDW) and I could easily talk about it all day!  These recommendations can be from the parks, the resorts or Downtown Disney.  I'll also include a list of places I wish to visit on this program so consider this a gastronomical bucket list of sorts :)

Full Service Restaurants:
  1. Teppan Edo (Epcot, Japan pavilion): A bit on the pricy side but definitely worth the money - the food is delicious, the portions are reasonable (never left hungry) and the staff is extremely polite and attentive.  I always get the nihonbashi (steak and chicken) and if I'm feeling boozy I also have a Tokyo Sunset (a fruity alcoholic drink that's hard to describe).
  2. Crystal Palace (Magic Kingdom, Main Street): If you grew up with Pooh and his friends (which I did), this place is heaven on earth.  Not only that, but the food is amazing (they served a chipotle pasta on the dinner bar when I visited and I got so mad when I couldn't find the recipe afterwards) and it's a buffet!  This is one character dining spot I'm definitely planning to go back to, so I urge you all to join me!
  3. Liberty Tree Tavern (Magic Kingdom, Liberty Square): If Thanksgiving is one of your favorite times of year because of all the delicious food, you're in luck!  Liberty Tree serves some super delicious turkey and stuffing which I get every time I visit.  My roommate also had some sort of pasta dish one time we went that she loved as well (I had a bit - it was pretty tasty).
  4. Kouzzina by Cat Cora (Boardwalk Resort): Like Greek food?  Never had it but want to try it?  Kouzzina is a tasty place that serves all my favorites like spanakopita (pronounced span-ih-COPE-it-ah, and it's a spinach and feta cheese pie) and pastitsio (pronounced pah-STEE-she-oh, and it's essentially lasagna with cloves and cinnamon instead of tomatoes).  It's only open for dinner as a Greek restaurant, but that's when the Boardwalk is at its best. (NOTE: This restaurant is slated to close this fall.  And yes, I'm depressed about it.)
  5. San Angel Inn (Epcot, Mexico Pavilion): I love Mexican food but don't get to eat it much at home - so this restaurant is a novelty for me.  Not only that, but it is the only place I have ever visited with guacamole that I actually like!  The time I visited I had the carne asada (steak) and it was very tasty.  I come from a state known for its steak so I'm really picky about it, and this did not disappoint.  Also, if you like strong drinks the margaritas are pretty delicious.
  6. 50's Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios, Echo Lake): This restaurants is pretty famous among WDW nuts for its concept - having your waiters and waitresses be "babysitters" or "cousins" and scold you for doing things like putting your elbows on the table.  However, no one talks about the food that much - it's pretty good!  I enjoy the pot pie whenever I go, and various other people I've eaten with like the friend chicken.  It's got some delicious desserts and adult drinks as well.
  7. Garden Grill (Epcot, The Land pavilion): If you've ever wanted to meet Mickey at a character dining spot but don't want to eat at Chef Mickey's, this place is a good alternative.  The food is served family-style in small portions so it can get frustrating if you and your fellow diners at your table are hungry but the food is pretty delicious.  Best part: the produce is grown in the greenhouses that you ride through during Living with the Land!
  8. Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge): Definitely not a place for picky eaters, as I found when I went there with my roommates there for my birthday, but if you're willing to branch out a bit there's plenty of amazing foods to be tried.  My favorite parts of the buffet are the hummus (the sun-dried tomato hummus is AMAZING) and the desserts (especially the famous Zebra Domes).
  9. Yak and Yeti Restaurant (Animal Kingdom, Asia): This food isn't really authentic for any culture or group in Asia, at least as far as I know.  However, it IS pretty tasty and some dishes are nice and light.  The rice is especially delicious, and the rice bowls are enough to fill me up on a day when I'm not very hungry.
  10. Coral Reef Restaurant (Epcot, The Seas pavilion): Seafood restaurants aren't the best place for people who don't like fish (like me), but they've got a pretty good and well-rounded menu that usually features at least one chicken or steak dish.  The lobster bisque almost converted me into a lobster-lover!  Also, it's got one of the most beautiful and relaxing dining rooms ever.
Quick-Service (Fast Food) Restaurants:
  1. Sunshine Seasons (Epcot, The Land pavilion): This is hands-down my favorite place to eat when I'm out in the parks!  There's a wide variety of food so pretty much anyone could find something they like, and everything tastes fresh and delicious.  I had corn chowder with hot chili oil once and it was amazing!
  2. Earl of Sandwich (Downtown Disney): Think of the most delicious hot sandwich you've ever had.  Now times that by ten.  Congratulations, you now know what Earl's sandwiches taste like!
  3. Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles (Epcot, France pavilion): France just got a quick-service restaurant a couple of years ago and the news made me so excited!  I love French food but the restaurants are expensive AND always crowded.  This place can also get very busy, but the food more than makes up for it - I love the quiche (pronounced like "keyshh" - egg pie with vegetables and other meats added) and the croque monsieur (toasted ham and cheese sandwich). The desserts are amazing too!
  4. Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom, Fantasyland): The lines for this place are INSANE, but if you really want to see the interior you'll wait patiently for it.  The food is actually really decently priced and delicious as well - this place has quiche too!  (If you can't tell I kinda love quiche :P)
  5. Flame Tree BBQ (Animal Kingdom, Discovery Island): I go to school near Kansas City, which is a pretty famous place for barbeque, so I know when it's good.  It's delicious here!  Everything is a bit on the pricy side but it's worth it if you're looking for a good place to eat quick-service without having to eat burgers.
  6.  Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn and Cafe (Magic Kingdom, Frontierland): The cool thing about the food on this menu is the build-your-own taco salad - they sell you the meat and shell but you get to decide how much lettuce and such you put on at the toppings bar so this is almost like an all-you-can-eat thing.  It can be a really good deal!
  7. Starring Rolls Cafe (Hollywood Studios, Hollywood Boulevard): No one knows this place exists.  No one!  I'm so shocked because it's got some really great sandwiches (which are put together by the chefs at the Brown Derby - fun fact!) and it's hardly ever so busy that you'll have to wait a long time for your lunch.
  8.  La Cantina de San Angel (Epcot, Mexico pavilion): This outdoor restaurant serves some pretty simple dishes like tacos and nachos, everything tastes good and it's fun to be able to look over the World Showcase Lagoon while eating (though watch out for those ibises, they can get pretty scary at times).
  9. Electric Umbrella (Epcot, Future World West): It serves a lot of pretty standard quick-service items but also has a few unique things on the menu.  Also... I'm addicted to listening to the Future World area loop and it plays in the seating area nonstop.
  10. Casey's Corner (Magic Kingdom, Main Street): Delicious hot dogs!  That's about all I've got to say about this place.  The hot dogs are good, and they fit in well with the small-town American feel of Main Street.
Snacks:
  1. Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar: These aren't your typical ice cream bars... the ice cream tastes almost homemade and the chocolate is rich.  They're four dollars apiece but totally worth the money!
  2. Baklava (Epcot, Morocco Pavilion): Baklava (pronounced BOCK-lah-vah) is a pastry-like dish with nuts, cloves cinnamon and honey.  Think of a sticky brownie without the chocolate and that's sort of what baklava is.  It's one of my favorite desserts and I was so happy to see that Morocco sells it!
  3. Gelato (Epcot, Italy pavilion): As if I even need to explain how delicious gelato is ;) The gelato in Italy is expensive for what you get, but it is also very rich and satisfying.
  4. Minnie's Bake Shop Cookies: These are prepackaged and can be found in pretty much any shop that sells food, but I can't get enough of them!  They're like cakes!
  5. Dole Whip: I'm not really THAT fond of Dole Whip, but it's kind of a famous treat so I thought I'd include it here.  I like the Dole Whip-vanilla swirl you can get at the Polynesian!
Places I Want To Go On This Program:
  1. California Grill (Contemporary Resort)
  2. Hollywood Brown Derby (Hollywood Studios)
  3. Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)
  4. Le Cellier (Epcot, Canada pavilion)
  5. Biergarten (Epcot, Germany pavilion)
  6. Restaurant Marrakesh (Epcot, Morocco pavilion)
  7. Rose and Crown (Epcot, UK pavilion)
  8. Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  9. Wave of American Flavors (Contemporary Resort)
  10. Artist Point or Whispering Point Cafe (Wilderness Lodge)
Honorable Mention Restaurant:
Splitsville (Downtown Disney): It's technically a bowling alley but the restaurant attached to it is pretty good!  Strangely, it has a pretty sizable sushi menu and everything else is pretty upscale.

No comments:

Post a Comment